Frontiers of Science and after-seminar lunch: MD Tuomas Tammela
December 14th at 12:00
Autumn 2023 program
MD Tuomas Tammela, Sloan Kettering Institute; Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, US
Functional interrogation of intra-tumoral heterogeneity
Host: Klaus Elenius (email@example.com)
Coffee at 11:45!
Instead of having a sandwich before the seminar, BioCity Turku wants to thank all the people who have joined us to listen to the Frontiers of Science seminars during 2023, and welcome you all for lunch! Let’s have a lunch all together in BioCity lobby after the seminar at 13:00!
As always, no need to register to the seminar, but if you want to join for the lunch please register at latest 10 December: https://link.webropolsurveys.com/S/6A9778FB474466DA
The Tammela lab is interested in understanding the remarkable phenotypic heterogeneity of cancer cells within tumors. We approach this question using a combination of sophisticated genetically engineered mouse models, single-cell approaches, tracing and ablation of distinct tumor cell lineages, CRISPR-mediated gene regulation, and advanced imaging techniques. We utilize the exceptional resources developed by our MSK collaborators, such as organoids and xenografts, for the translation of our findings into new treatments for human cancer. Our goal is to discover pathways that drive distinct cellular phenotypes and to develop new therapeutic concepts aimed at reducing cellular heterogeneity in tumors.
M Kim, M Panagiotakopoulou, C Chen, SB Ruiz, K Ganesh, T Tammela, …, 2023. Micro-engineering and nano-engineering approaches to investigate tumour ecosystems. Nature Reviews Cancer, 1-19
SR Torborg, Z Li, JE Chan, T Tammela. 2022. Cellular and molecular mechanisms of plasticity in cancer. Trends in Cancer 8 (9), 735-746
Marjanovic ND, Hofree M, Chan JE, … , Rekhtman N, Massion PP, Poirier JT, Mazutis L, Li R, Lee JH, Amon A, Rudin CM, Jacks T, Regev A, Tammela T. (2020). Emergence of a High-Plasticity Cell State during Lung Cancer Evolution. Cancer Cell, 38(2):229-246
- You can download and save all the autumn 2023 FoS-seminars to your calendar from here: https://seafile.utu.fi/d/44a70f80ac1e46a9ad0a/
- Registration is not needed, participation list is circulated in the audience
- If you are a student and later wish to get a certificate of attendance from the Frontier of Science seminars, print out the seminar diary and after the seminar ask the BioCity coordinator to sign it https://seafile.utu.fi/d/44a70f80ac1e46a9ad0a/
- Please note that any audio or video recording of the seminars is strictly forbidden.
- Autumn 2023 FoS image credits to Anna-Mari Haapanen-Saaristo: Part of anoxia study of Eutardigrade species Macrobiotus Ripperi labelled with commercial fluorescent dyes, image acquired on 3i CSU-W1 Spinning disk with 40x objective