Overall goal and vision
We aim to facilitate a whole of life approach and provide the opportunity to join lifespan-related researchers across University of Turku (UTU) and Åbo Akademi University (ÅA). The goal is to understand processes leading to normal and abnormal growth and prevent and treat the lifespan of cardiovascular, inflammatory, endocrine & metabolic disorders. We will combine both basic and applied research in life sciences, medicine, ICT, chemistry and physics. The goal will be achieved through molecular characterization and system-level understanding of specific biological processes and diseases, as well as discovering and testing novel diagnostic tools and therapies. The approaches are multi-disciplinary and unite expertise in basic, clinical and public health research.
Our specific aims for the next five years include:
- Drive and encourage interdisciplinary, integrative and translational cutting-edge international research
- Promote international exchange of researchers at all levels
- Further develop, augment and integrate the established technology platforms
- Continue to develop techniques to fully exploit the technology platforms
- Educate students, graduate students and postdoctoral fellows for interdisciplinary research through a close collaboration with UTU and ÅA graduate schools.
- Exploit the scientific discoveries in collaboration with pharmaceutical, diagnostics and biotech industry. This will be carried out in a close collaboration with UTU and ÅA research and innovation services and through seeking national and international funding opportunities for private-public joint projects and programs.